But need not to worry as you can still make the cheap or free international calls on your iPad 2 with voip. With so many voip provider already in the market, making cheap or free calls is very easy. If you are wondering about the call quality, then don't worry as long as you have wifi/3g (offcourse you must be having wifi otherwise you wouldn't have got yourself an iPad).
Many voip provider have started offering their own iPad 2 application, however a more generic solution to make phone calls on iPad 2 is using SIP. Today we will discuss about how to make phone calls on iPad 2 using SIP (or we can say SIP Calls on iPad).
Lets understand the procedure in steps :
1. First you need to register with a voip provider which offers free or cheap calls. I would suggest Localphone, as it allows SIP calls and the calls costs are also very low. Another good reason for choosing Localphone is that currently it is running a promotion. You will get free $1.5 on purchase of $1 credit, that's 150% bonus.
2. After registering with Localphone, you will see SIP settings in your account.
Check SIP username and password.
3. Download WhistlePhone on your iPad 2. WhistlePhone offers free iPad 2 app which you can configure to make free or cheap voip calls.
4. Open the whistlephone app. Now you need to register with WhistlePhone.
Just click Use a Generic SIP Account.
5. Now in the username add Localphone SIP username.
Password as Localphone password.
In the proxy/domain add localphone.com
6. Voilla, you are ready to make phone calls. You will see a dialer to make calls. Enter the number in international calls. To make calls in India dial like : 919891xxxxxx
If you face any problems in making calls, please let us know. We will try to help you all to make phone calls from your iPad 2.