Please note that this is not restricted to just making video calls, if you don't have a webcam then you will be able to make voice call. If you and your friend both have webcams and microphones set up, you will be able to see and hear each other in real time. If you call friends who don’t have webcams, they’ll be able to see and hear you but you’ll only be able to hear them.
Video calling feature of facebook is now default, however just to ensure that the video calling feature is enabled in your account, check this link.
The video calling on facebook requires a one time setup. Facebook will ask to do when you try your first call or your friends call you.
To call a friend:
- Click the at the top of their profile (timeline) and then click Call.
- Click the Set Up button and follow the instructions for how to set up video calling on your browser.
- Once you’ve successfully completed the setup, the call you’ve started with your friend should connect automatically. If it doesn’t, you can call again.
During the setup, you will be asked to download a file (I have tried on my windows PC).
1. Download the file and run that file. (its an exe).Once the setup (Installation of a plugin) is complete, the call will start.
Now that the setup is complete on your browser, you will be able to make video/voice calls on facebook.
How to make Voice/Video Calls on facebook for free :
1. Be online, that is open chat. You will see your online friends.
2. On this window, you will see a video call icon, as shows in the image on left.
If your friend has video setup, he will get the call straight away. Otherwise, your friend will be asked to setup his account.
If your friend is unavailable, you can leave a video message. The time and date of your missed call will be listed in your ongoing message history with your friend.
Please note that the each call record will be saved in the facebook messages. However, the calls themselves are not recorded or saved.
I am still trying to figure out how you can make facebook video calls on iPad/iPhone. I guess the facebook ipad app does not support this, neither does opening safari on ipad works (the call option does not appear). But don't worry there are some other ipad/iphone apps which enable you to make viceo chat/video calls/voice calls on facebook. We will soon discuss about these apps in separate posts. Stay tuned!!