With Facetime already installed on your iPad device, you can very easily enjoy video calls with your friends. But for that, your friends also have to have an apple device, either iPhone or iPad itself. Probably what you are looking for, is an iPad voip application which turn your iPad to a Phone and you should be able to place calls to regular mobiles.
In the past we have discussed about various apps which allow you to make calls using your iPad device, however today we will be looking at a consolidated list. I will first try out these application on my iPad and will let you know if it works or not. Hence we will try to grow this list of Voip applications for iPad 2.
Voip Apps for iPad 2 | SIP Clients for iPad 2 | Voip on iPad
1. TruPhone Voip application for iPad : Recently, Truphone launched its voip application for iPad device. You just need to install this app from the app store and straight away make calls.
- Well it works!
- Free Wi-Fi calls to other Truphone and Google Talk users
- Free to download.
- Cheap international calls and some unlimited plans as well.
- International calls are not that cheap. Calling cards and some other voip apps provide cheaper calls (however these are non iPad things).
- You are bound with Truphone. It is not a generic SIP app, and you are restricted to use TruPhone.
2. Skype Voip Application for iPad : This is a multi purpose application. I believe you all are already member of Skype and have been using on your laptop or mobile. You have a lot of buddies on Skype with whom you like to Chat and talk. So, once you have switched to iPad : Skype for iPad is a must have application.
- Your Skype friends added on laptop/phone directly show up on Skype iPad.
- You can chat with your friends, you can talk to your Skype friends, you can video chat with your friends : and all this for free.
- Yes, with Skypeout, you can even make calls to normal mobiles. It works!
- If you are new to Skype and have very less friends, then free feature ain't for you. You can talk/video chat free but only with your Skype friends (Skype to Skype).
- Calling rates are again at higher side. (Try some unlimited plan).
3. Whistle Phone Voip Application for iPad 2 : WhistlePhone voip application is a SIP client for iPad2. You can configure SIP settings of any voip provider and start making phone calls from iPad. I tried Localphone SIP settings on WhistlePhone.
- SIP client. Configure SIP settings of any voip provider.
- Localphone SIP settings can be configures easily.
- User interface is clean and making calls is very easy.
- Conference calls allowed.
- It didn't work for me. I was able to place a call, the destination mobile rang. However there was no voice on both sides. I have tried multiple times, same problem : no voice! I will again give a try and see if I am able to make it work.
4. Fring Voip Application for iPad : Fring iPad application is similar to Skype, however with lot more features. It is again a must try for all.
- You can ad your Gmail account, and all your buddies directly show up.
- You can chat/talk/Video chat with your buddies on Fring.
- You can make calls to regular mobiles (Non Fring friends) using Fringout.
- Above features work great.
- SIP calls not allowed on Fring for iPad (this is allowed on iPhone/Android Mobiles).
- Fringout calls are bit costly!
5. Yahoo Messenger Application for iPad : Yahoo Messenger always has been more than a messenger. Yahoo Messenger on Pc is quite old and I believe a lot of people have switched to Gtalk. Well but the Yahoo Messenger for iPad is very similar to Skype. The user interface of Yahoo Messenger for iPad is way better than many other apps. I have tried Yahoo Messenger on my iPad and it works great! Apart from the usual chat, you can call your buddy on his phone, you can have a video chat with your friend as well.
- Native Chat application works really good.
- You can chat/talk/Video chat with your friends.
- You can share photos/videos etc.
- Send SMS to mobile
- Above features work great.
- Still trying to figure out : how to call normal mobile phone.
- Calling rates are high! I would rather prefer using voip apps on mobile for calls!
Well the list of voip application for iPad (which I have tried) is very long. I will soon update this post to include other as well. I hope this answer's the big question : How to turn iPad to Phone (Make Phone Calls from iPad).