Lets see how it proceeded, my experience of making SIP calls on iPad using Octro. I would like to place SIP calls (call mobile phone) from my iPad. I would be calling a mobile phone in India.
1. I started by downloading Octro app on my iPad. It can be found here.
2. After downloading the app when I opened the app, it asked for registration. Choose a username and password. Select Register with Octro in the dropdown menu.
Below is the image screen shot :
3. Now I need to add SIP settings in Octro. I will add my localphone sip settings.
If you are yet to register with voip provider to get a SIP account, I would suggest you to try Localphone. It is one of the best voip providers (very cheap calls). Currently we are running a promotion with Localphone double your money offer.
4. Select the phone icon. Click Add. Select configure your own SIP.
Below is the screen shot :
5. Enter your localphone sip settings here.
Enter username : your localphone SIP username.
Enter password : localhpone SIP password.
Proxy/Realm/Domain : enter localphone.com
6. Select and sip account added and click connect.
7. You can now see the dialer and you are ready to make calls. See the screenshot.
Well I was able to place calls to a mobile phone from my iPad using the sip configures octro. The call quality was good and there was very less delay in the call. I would suggest people to try out Octro (atleast it worked great with Localphone SIP settings).
PS: One of the problem I faced this, call got discontinued after a minute saying that I ran out of octro credit. However as I am using my localphone credit for making calls, I couldn't understand this stupid message! I will figure this out and will update you all.